Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Reports from the Field: Free Choice Day

Jubilee’s field reporters were feeling creative this week, so they got to choose their own topic for their latest reports.



How The Big One Got Away By Drew


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. That is what we heard when the Mahi-Mahi first hit. I ran to the pole and told my Dad to slow the boat down. I slowly turned my drag and the hook set. Then he started to fight and jump in the air. When he got up to the boat I was pooped and I was ready to eat him. But then my dad pulled up the line and tried to gaff it. He missed and dropped the line and the Mahi got off. “______” My dad said when it got off and we had a long moment of silence.



Hogfish, by Jake

Large Hogfish are very, very, very good food wise. Even small ones are good food wise. Hogfish larger than 5 pounds are rare. World record is 19 pounds 18 ounses. Big ones are a good battle. You need light bottom fishing tackle to catch them.

Their habitat is coral reef or a rocky bottom. Another name for Hogfish is Hog Snapper. They are tan or reddish with yellow lines behind their gills and black lines at their head. They have 3 fins that look like strings or feathers on their heads. They look very cool... especially on the end of my fishing line!




Jubilee, a poem by Emily

J.U.B.I.L.E.E. Let’s celibrate!
J.U.B.I.L.E.E. Let’s celibrate!
Come on put the sails up.
Let’s get on are way.
We’re sailing the seas
Today, not another day!
Come on let’s go
Me and you right away!
In the nice weather.
Today, O yaaa!

No comments: