Saturday, June 30, 2007

A "typical" Saturday morning . . .

I'm not sure what a typical Saturday morning, or any morning for that matter, should be like while cruising. We've only been at this now since Wednesday. But, we've taken a BUNCH 'O pictures as you can see below.

So, how do pictures like this get up here when were on the boat? Well, here is how they got uploaded this morning. At about 6:00 a.m. I got up and found everyone else on the boat asleep as usual. I wanted to make sure that the family had the dinghy available for getting to shore later so I packed a bag and grabbed the hand held VHF. My bag had the laptop, two dead laptop batteries, my camera, a dead camera battery, a cell phone with a nearly dead battery, the respective chargers and a big extension cord. The radio is for hailing the launch to town and for talking with the family while off the boat. I can charge all of this stuff on the boat with the Honda generator but given the early hour I thought it might be best to refrain from firing it up on the bow of the boat.

I got the launch at about 7:15 a.m. and for three dollars I got a short ride into town. Then it is a short hike of about a mile or so into town to the Island Free Library. The library doesn't open until 10:00 a.m. but the building and surrounding area is a free wireless hotspot. I noticed this yesterday and expected that there might be an external outlet or two on the building.

Sure enough, when I got to the library there was already someone with the same idea on the side of the building. Luckily, there was a spare outlet. So, I plugged in, charged up the batteries, edited photos and blogged. I even managed to charge the cell phone up and checked in with the family. They're having breakfast and will be into town soon. I'll probably walk back down to the dinghy dock at the Block Island Boat Basin and meet them there for another hike today. Yesterday was to the South East Lighthouse at Mohegan Bluffs and today may be the North Light at the other end of the island.

I'm still trying to upload webalbums to Picasa but can't seem to get it to work. So I've been having to post pictures four at a time to the blog page. If anyone knows how to get the webalbums to work and could send me an email or comment with instructions, I'd sure appreciate it.

For now, the four at a time method works but it is slow. As you can see below, Block Island is GORGEOUS and it photographs well. Enjoy the pictures and hopefully soon I'll be able to get more up.

No comments: