Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reports from the Field: Snorkeling at Hoffman’s Cay

The Fish that Nobody Saw, by Jake

Hi, it’s Jake. My dad was snorkeling. He scared a little fish that was a Nassau Grouper. I followed it, and I looked up. I saw ten or 200 fish! There were 2 groups of them. They were a good 1 foot all around me. My dad was too busy playing with a shrimp, and Drew and Emily were with him. I was the only one who saw the fish!

My favorite was an angel fish. Angel fish are silver and they reflect the sun and are very big. It was exciting to see so many fish, even if I was the only one who did!

The Little Reef, by Drew

The other day I went snorkeling off in some shallow water. We didn’t see much at first, but then we found some small coral. It had only small fish around it and some starfish.

When we turned around to go back, we pasted over some new coral. On one piece I saw a little yellow sea horse. I scared it off to another little piece, but it went in a hole so I could not catch it. When we got back to the dinghy we started the motor to go back for lunch.

After lunch we went to another boat to learn to clean conch. There was a power boat in the harbor that just arrived. From them, we got a free 20 pound big eye tuna that we cleaned too. Dad and Jake thought it was delicious, but tuna is not for me. I prefer white fish.

Well, that is a summary of our day.

Coral Kassel, by Emily

“OOH, AAAH”!, I say. A school of fish past by. All I can see is coral, fish, sea starts and sand dollars. I am in the water with my dad and my brother Drew. We were in what I call the “Coral Kassel”. Fish go by as I swim. “OOH, AAAH”, I say again. I see big fish and small fish. “BOO”, my dad scared a sea plant. It went down in its hole. Now we head back to our Zodiac, going into the 4:00 sun. The End.

No comments: