Saturday, January 19, 2008

News from Nassau

We haven’t taken many photos this week... it’s been too wet! We spent Wednesday and Thursday at Atlantis enjoying the many water slides, pools and other resort amenities that came along with our marina slip fee.

Thanks to some good advice from fellow cruising families and the fact that we’re pretty good at squeezing the most out of a day, we were able to enjoy two full, fun-filled days for under $200! If you check the resort’s website, you’ll discover that’s quite a deal!

In lieu of water park photos, we asked our field reporters to share their thoughts below. Also, here are a few shots from the day we explored downtown Nassau.

Emily...
“Woho!” I say. “Can we go on the Serpent Slide again?” The Serpent is a tunnil tube slide to be egsact and it goes into a glass tunnil with sharks surrounding you. If you go to the Power Tower and you are a wimp (no ofenst to the little people out there) go on the Falls, but if you are not a wimp go on the Drop or the Surge. On the Surge, be sure to keep your butt up or be ready for a super tonic weggey!! If you take my ivise and the life gards, I promise you will not get hurt. The End.

Jake...
Today we went to Atlantis and road the Lasy River. Me and my mom flipped in the rapids in the Lasy River. Don’t tell but I think she is a crapy driver, because me and my dad never fliped. One day on the Lasy River I road in a one (one-person) tube and I got sucked in to rapids. I waved my hand up in the air. My mom finally saw me. I stopped after the rapids, and my family caught up to me. Then we stayed together. The End.

Drew...
We went to Atlantis for 2 days. It was super fun and all the slides were great! The best were the Leap of Faith and The Abyss. The Abyss has a 50ft drop that makes you feel like you’re falling. When you get to the bottom you come out into a cave. It was 2 holes in the top and aquariums all around. There is a lot to do at Atlantis. We thought 2 days was plenty of time, but I don’t know if that would be enough for you. If you don’t like water slides, there’s a beach and also aquariums. I liked the Predator Tunnel with sharks and barracudas. I also liked watching the Manta Rays get fed.

_________________________________________________________


Behind the Blog: Rum Punch

While in Nassau, we’ve had the opportunity to sample a number of rums, the drink of choice here in New Providence where Bacardi has a large plant. We also have been experimenting with rum punch using the following recipe/rhyme which Pat found in one of his cruising books:

1 part sour, 2 parts sweet,
3 parts strong, 4 parts weak,
5 drops of bitters and nutmeg spice;
serve well chilled with lots of ice

Since we were having friends over for dinner, we decided to figure out the proportions for a gallon jug. In this quantity, the “3 parts strong” equates to about 4.75 cups of rum! I was very glad we used small glasses and had lots of food. The bottle of “Fire In De Hole” rum we chose to mix up the punch really packs one. I was also glad to see that our jug was still half-full at the end of the evening... after all we had to save some room for the delicious Nassau Royale Liqueur that our friends from Coxily brought by to share!


No comments: