Saturday, September 15, 2007

This just in, more reports from the field.

Reports from the Field: On Assignment in Nantucket

The following stories recap portions of our historical tour of Nantucket.

The Oldest House by Emily

Did you know Mary Gardner and Jethro Coffin got “maryed”?... Their house was bilt in 1686 there were 4 fireplace, 2 rooms up, 3 rooms down and a gardin. There was no water, no lecktiside (electricity), no toilits, a prety big frig (cold room) and a prety big hous for back then.

They took bankcets and a big bench and a big fire to keep worm. They had 10 children too. Mary Coffin was good at painting. (Her pictures are on display at the Nantucket Historical Society.)

The End.

Something I learned: a root cellar is where people stored potatoes back then



The Whaling Museum by Jake

At frist Nantucket whalers were hunting Right whales becuase they were the right whales to hunt. Once they say a spirm whale it turn in to the right whale. And one day a spirm whale whashed up on the beach and it’s bones were took to the museum. And that is how it got started.

You should never go on a whale ship becuase there evil. If you’re a “greeny” (making your first voyage) you would strip and jump in the whales head (to scoop out the oil used to make candles, etc). Your other jobs would be look out and rowing. The Nantucket Sleighride is a ride in a row boat with the whale as your engine pulling you 15 to 20 m.p.h.

The End.

Something I learned: scrimshaw is when you draw pictures on whale teeth


The Old Mill by Drew

The Old Mill was built in 1746 and is 253 years old. It was built by a sailor from Europe. He came to Nantucket and built the mill from drift wood. The only example he had was some sketches he made.

The mill has 3 floors and the 3rd floor moves. The mill is powered by wind and produces corn meal. The leftovers are used for chicken feed. The vanes turn to face the wind and they shortened the sails when the wind picks up. They shortened them from 4 to 2 or 0 and to face the wind, some one has to push it (a beam on wheels coming out the back of the mill which rotates the 3rd floor).

Something I learned: the drift wood used to make the mill came from wrecked ships


Audience Participation Welcome...

Dreams, by Emily

Oh hi, my nam is Emily. Pleas call me Em. Do you have drem’s? I do here they are. At fist I wanted to be a teacher, then I wanted to be a dophin traner, but after thoe 2 dreams I wanted to be a ballet techer, but now I do not know what I whant to be, but I have a bit of time to deside. Putt doun your dream’s and your name.

To be a engnear... Jake

To have a fishing boat... Drew

To see dolphins from alongside our sailboat... Pat

To invent a game with my children (Emily has a great idea for a card game!)... Jo

Matt Goodwin
e: Skateboarding by Jake, September 2007

Hello, sorry we haven’t done the blog lately. I just wanted to let you know abo
ut my cousin Matt the awesome skate boarder/street skater. I got to skate in their half pipe. It was awesome but Drew and I didn’t do the drop in. We were too scared.

My dad couldn’t even stay on the skate board. My cousin Jim is very good too. Check on “you tube” on matt goodwine. Click here for a Matt video. We hung out with them. It was cool to see their broken skate boards, posters, and Jim’s love notes. The End.







Uncle Steve: The Warrior
by Drew, September 2007

My Uncle Steve was in World War 2 and is 93-1/2 years old. He won a bronze star in the Battle of the Bulge for his courage. When he was a kid he played basketball and baseball and went hiking. He also ate very healthy foods. That might be why he has lived so long. He had 6 sisters and 1 brother. One of his sisters is my Aunt Libby the golf champ. My Uncle Steve is very cool because he has lived a long time and has lots of neat stories.

No comments: